Saturday 17 March 2012

Instead of eating and finishing an assessment, I...

....tried my hand at Japanese style bookbinding.

Japanese bookbinding uses 'stab sewing' to bind single leaves together. It can be quite decorative. (See end of post)

Now, I'm terribly aware that this is probably the messiest thing you've seen me post - but I did make it out of scrap paper. (From print outs from my third year project, coincidentally, about books) It also has fluorescent orange endpapers. *Shiver*

But I'm pretty pleased with the result, and the sewing wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.

I made a right mess with the beginning and start knot. But I was practising a new technique - never intending to make things completely perfect.

 






The only thing with sewing like this is that, although it looks great, you do lose quite a lot of margin, and can only open it a certain amount without bending the board too much.

Here are some examples of neater and quite frankly beautiful books sewed in the Japanese style. 


Japanese Journal by aalenfae
Japanese exercise books by nekogriz


handmade book 25 by darkest-red
 
Maybe I could bind my own dissertation like this....(!)

...now to cook some dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment