Tuesday 9 April 2013

Jack Teagle is Cool



I could wax lyrical about the city I lived in during university. I’ve yet to visit a city which I love as much as Bath. I love Bath for many reasons, and one of them is it’s shops. A lovely paper and gift shop called Maythers not only sells Paperblanks, my favourite brand of writing journals, but interesting and beautiful wrapping papers, too, as well as quirky gifts and books.

My paper hoarding from Maythers has been quite excellent in the past. I made these two books from paper I bought there.


 




















So when I saw a colourful paper with head shots of characters I knew very well, I had to buy it.

This, my friends, is the masterpiece of Jack Teagle, illustrator. The wrapping paper includes some of the best heroes and villains around: a mish-mash of genres and sources: from Darth Vader to Spiderman. I knew as soon as I saw the paper I wanted to make something from it.

I left Bath and thought about making the book. I could have sworn I bought myself a couple of sheets, but alas, I couldn’t find it anyway. I had to wait until December until I actually obtained two beautiful and fresh sheets.

Along with some lovely purple book cloth from Shepherds, I knew pretty much what design I wanted to do.

Using book cloth on the corners and the spine is called ‘half-cloth binding’ and I think it all works very well.

Apologies for the terrible quality, it was late at night!



I made myself an exercise book and I covered the floral diary I had got from school.

Thanks to this fantastic wrapping paper, I introduced a youngster to the forgotten trade of bookbinding and nabbed myself a incredibly geeky notebook and diary to geek out in.

Jack Teagle is quite a brilliant artist. Thank you, sir.


You should be expecting a postcard from Camp NaNoWriMo some time soon.

Mayther:

3 Milsom St,
 City Centre,
Bath
BA1 1DA

No comments:

Post a Comment