Sunday 19 January 2014

Chapter Nine – A Book You Thought You Wouldn’t Like But Ended Up Loving




Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 
 Here's where the picture's from.


I did not think I would enjoy this book when I saw it upon my first year reading list at university. I thought it was going to be dreadfully dull and typical of that time: over bearing and boring, perhaps too religious.



I was not aware what a wonderful and enchanting book was before me.



I had no idea of the brilliant, gothic undertones, which presented an entirely different book to me – one that was actually interesting, and held my rapt attention.



I had read Jane Austen previously, thinking I must attempt a literary great, especially because I was living in Bath. Needless to say, I absolutely hated Persuasion, and I had a terrible feeling that Jane Eyre would be similar.



I was so wrong! Even if I did not quite enjoy some of the lon speeches and moments with St John I loved the language – I regret not writing down any of the quotes, blustery and stormy as they are.


I loved studying it too, and I remember that my essay was about animalistic imagery in the book.

I brought the edition I read, most likely in a charity shop for some scant amount. It pleases me greatly as it is a first edition published by Penguin. 



I’ve read Wuthering Heights and was equally impressed, Anne, however, - I’m sorry. Your books are too much ‘proper’, and your siblings’ are beautiful and full of heart.



I wish all of the classics were like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment